This is not the traditional Southwestern style of the past.
Modern southwestern decor is more refined. More sophisticated. More minimalistic. Let’s break this home decorating style down and see if it’s the perfect match for you.
Modern Southwestern Decor Must Haves
1. Southwestern Style Greenery: Think Agaves, Barrel Cacti, Aloes or any other succulent. The Southwestern style lady loves bringing the outdoors inside in a way that sets the tone of the room. Whether with a single, bold cactus like the image pictured above or scattered throughout the room in key places, native desert plants quickly define the southwestern style.
2. Neutral Earthy Tones: The modern southwestern home brings the outdoors inside to a greater degree with the use of rich and natural tones. Warm terracotta, rich browns, dreamy whites and even pops of bold red or orange are found throughout the space. Extremely modern southwesterners tend to stick to a neutral color palette and create visual interest with texture.
3. Rustic Elements: The Southwestern gal always incorporates rustic pieces in her space. She uses rich and supple leather, like the chairs pictured below. She chooses wood furniture or floors in warm, rustic shades and especially loves the knotty wood look. Cowhide rugs are another favorite of the southwestern decor lover.
4. Vintage Feeling: The modern southwestern style is not about the new. It’s about the feeling of time-worn pieces of furniture or accessories. A tarnished gold mirror, an antique wood chest or an imperfectly glazed vase. All of the elements in the room work together to create a space that feels curated over time.
5. Southwestern Style Textiles: Perhaps the single most important piece of the southwestern style decor is the use of southwestern patterned rugs, throws and wall hangings. What qualifies as southwestern style varies depending on how strict your definition is. On the more traditional side of the spectrum are the serape style blankets and rugs while the modern side uses any type of geometric, tribal feeling design.
6. Add In The Modern: What makes the “modern” in modern southwest decor? Infusing the room with elements of modern decorating style. Think of a clean-lined sofa, a mid-century modern pendant light or modern wall art.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Read my full disclosure here.
Perfect Pieces In A Modern Southwestern Style Home
- Bronwyn Round Mirror
- Paiute Land Print
- Vintage Mexican Falsa Blanket
- Joshua Tree Print
- Mustard Mudcloth Pillow
- Black And White Stripe Lumbar Pillow
- Beatnik Oxford Leather Sofa
- Kilim Rug (use code ST2016 for 5% 0ff)
- Southwestern Pillow
- Tree Stump Table
- Large Rattan Basket
- Mid Century Show Wood Upholstered Chair
How Do I Create A Modern Southwestern Space?
- Use a modern style sofa and other furniture to anchor the room with a modern look.
- Add your favorite succulents and cacti.
- Layer southwestern style rugs and blankets in the room.
- Choose one or two rustic accents for the space.
- Stick to a color scheme that can be found in nature, especially the southwest.
- Don’t pick shiny metallics or items that look brand new.
Are you a fan of modern southwestern decor? Let me know in the comments below.